Photo

Survey, what activities or things did you treat your guests to?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#11 PVBride

PVBride
  • 443 posts

Posted 07 September 2007 - 05:58 PM

Tuesday - Welcome Dinner with Fire Jugglers and Drummers

Wednesday-Karaoke Night at poolside bar

Thursday - Rehearsal and Rehearsal Dinner (everyone is invited to dinner)

Friday- Wedding and Reception

Saturday - Farewell Brunch

We are also organizing a group ziplining tour, but are not paying for it.

#12 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
    • 24,768 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:31 PM

We just had the WD and then the wedding - nothing else organized. I am going to go against the grain and say that you don't have to plan anything. Honestly, when I am on vacation I hate having an itinerary. This is the reason I didn't plan anything for our wedding week. I was at a DW this past week and they had group things a few times during the week - it actually got to be rather annoying. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I just wanted somem down time while I was on vacation! I know you don't HAVE to attend these group events, but you definitley feel obligated. Just thought I'd throw that perspective out there.

#13 Spazz

Spazz
      • VIP Member
      • 10,482 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 01:10 PM

Quote:
        Originally Posted by akh
        We just had the WD and then the wedding - nothing else organized. I am going to go against the grain and say that you don't have to plan anything. Honestly, when I am on vacation I hate having an itinerary. This is the reason I didn't plan anything for our wedding week. I was at a DW this past week and they had group things a few times during the week - it actually got to be rather annoying. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I just wanted somem down time while I was on vacation! I know you don't HAVE to attend these group events, but you definitley feel obligated. Just thought I'd throw that perspective out there.

Ann, Thanks for your input. That's a good point. All I am planning is a Welcome Cocktail Hour and obviously the actual wedding. I was thinking of maybe doing something else, but also I feel like these people are paying so much to come and it's their vacation too, so I should give them the time to do what they want.

#14 LCBride2007

LCBride2007

VIP Member

• VIP Member
        • 24,768 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:39 PM

exactly! it's a toss up though, and i can see both sides. it probably depends on your group too - we had a pretty independant group and one that seems to have no problems finding entertainment on their own (some good, some bad!). but if i had a lot of older relatives (or whoever) that would want organized events, i probably would have done soemthing more. also, we had so many people coming in at different days throughout the week, it was almost imposible to find something to do when everyone was there - many didn't show up until the day before teh wedding, when we had the WD

#15 rodent

rodent

VIP Member

• VIP Member
          • 18,759 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

I think the most important thing is to keep it really clear that it's optional if you do plan stuff. If I was a guest, I would not want to have an agenda given to me. Our schedule of events will have "optional" in bold next to all the activities.

#16 RoSean

RoSean
            • 140 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:04 PM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's nice to get other perspective on this kind of stuff.

I think we've narrowed down the activities that we will offer our guests and will make it optional.

#17 PlayaNovia

PlayaNovia
              • 67 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:48 PM

We plan on having a welcome dinner (hosting dinner only tho, not drinks) and OOT bags with a few goodies. That's it - no activities. I just don't want to be bothered trying to organize anything for the group. Plus, the island we'll be on is small - they can figure out their own fun!
                Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired.
                --Robert Frost

#18 *JillD*

*JillD*
                • 5,112 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:59 PM

I didn't want people to feel too pressured to have a lot to do because like others have said this is there vacation too.

Here's what we're doing:

OOT bags
                  Pashminas at the reception for the ladies
                  Sombreros at the reception for the guys
                  Deep sea fishing trip for the guys (I am paying for my dad & brother for this, but everyone else will pay for themselves)

I haven't set anything in stone, but I am going to try to organize a farewell breakfast/brunch, just at the buffet restaurant. Nothing crazy, basically, we'd like to say goodbye to everyone before they leave for the airport and we leave for our honeymoon so if we can all meet at a certain time for breakfast that would be great.

Thats it for us.

#19 brigopens

brigopens
                  • 247 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 12:01 AM

We've got the following going on in addition to OOT bags/embroidered beach towels.

Saturday
                    Welcome Gathering at the resort's main bar
                    Sunday
                    Golf event for the guys, organizing but not paying
                    "Rehearsal/Welcome Dinner"
                    Monday
                    Wedding with cocktail reception/dessert buffet to follow

Working on some group departure meal/brunch, but unsure at the present time.

As far as any other excursions, I'm just going to include info on what there is to do in an email to our guests about a month prior to the big day!!! if it works for a bunch of us to go as a group, that's great. If not, that's great too. I know a lot of our guests plan to do nothing more than lay on the beach, suck down drinks, and relax!!!
                    Our Bridal Party in Mexico

#20 nylalany

nylalany
                    • 625 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 07:01 PM

RoSean, I'm looking into a snorkeling cruise or something instead of a rehearsal dinner because I figure the people are already paying for their dinner at an AI, and I feel that we should treat them to something besides the wedding. I have around the same # of people as you, although we're staying closer to Playa del Carmen. I can send you info once I figure it out myself, if you haven't already figured out what you're going to do. But if you're in Cancun, a snorkeling/sunset cruise to Isla Mujeres seems like a smart idea, as it is close. I was thinking of going south to Tulum for mine, as that way people would be able to snorkel, see the ruins, and have a nice boat ride (although I do get seasick, so maybe it is a bad idea?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter