El Dorado Royale (EDR) Brides - POST HERE!

I don't think it's too much to ask a TA to match a promotion. I'd wait to book room blocks until you know how much would be needed at GRM vs. EDR to qualify for those promos though.

My assumption is that unless folks are traveling with kids, they'd probably prefer to stay at EDR over GRM. I'm not sure how comparable the room pricing is between the two - since GRM is set up for families and having kids in the room vs. 2 adults at EDR. that might factor in to where your guests decide to stay.

@@AllieH - Thanks so much and you are right, we picked Generations/EDR for the "best of both" factor.  Since my 9 year old niece is definitely in the wedding and I will most likely have 2 little flower girls, we had to do a family friendly.  We initially were looking at Azul Beach and Sensatori but fell in love with the Generations Riviera Maya/EDR idea when we saw Generations during a Karisma Dress Rehearsal visit.  So far the pics over on Tripadvisor look great and there have been nothing but rave reviews - which makes me excited.  Now if I could just see pics of the sky deck & where receptions etc are held.  :rolleyes:

Now that we have the date & resort, we are trying to determine room blocks.  Do you have any suggestions?  We are expecting 50-75 people and I know at least 5 rooms will be at Generations.  I'm thinking we should request 30 and split them 15 and 15? Almost all of my guests (except my sister/brother-in-law, college bestie aka mother of the flower girls, and a family friend who's bringing her teens - never leaves them home) will be adults. 

I'm waiting to hear from my TA on if she can match the current offer I saw on another thread. Apparently Karisma is offering $1000 off for food/beverage if you book a Generations wedding & a free Catamaran cruise (for up to 40 people) with up to $1200 in food/beverage credit if you book 10+ rooms at a Karisma property. :huh:  I hope inquiring about this offer isn't asking too much. 

Hi AllieH - 

TA Match - thanks!! I figured it didn't hurt to ask but my fiance was making feel as if this was unreasonable. 

Rooms - you are right, the EDR rooms are cheaper than the base room at Generations, EXCEPT if someone at EDR wants an oceanview or oceanfront.  In those instances, it would actually be cheaper to book a base room at Generations since it is oceanfront and they can just go over to EDR for kid-free relaxation. :)   I'm told that they will allow us to combine the blocks to qualify for any room block related perks - though I'm not sure how long that will last.  I have it on my radar to make sure this in my contract. 

When you had your wedding, did you use a Lomas package?  Some others are talking of bringing in outside flowers.  I'm not sure that will work or be permitted, though I was able to meet with a few non-Lomas vendors while I was down for the Dress Rehearsal & they were ok with that since we were just meeting in the lobby.  Maybe I can do the same if I go with an outside florist.  :rolleyes:

Edited by girlinthecity97

That's great that they will combine the room blocks!!! And no, it's not unreasonable. You want to be sure you can get as many promos as possible, and it never hurts to ask. I'd think your TA would appreciate you asking her to match vs. deciding to book with another TA and going through the break up.

Guess what Karisma just posted on their Facebook page? A few pics from the first GRM wedding!!

We did the free sweet wedding package, and added on from there. We had a symbolic ceremony, and didn't need the add ons for the other packages. I brought my flowers (real touch/silk) with me, and many of my own decorations. I kept it fairly simple, but with personal (DIY) touches. We did a private dinner/reception event, and had a DJ. It was so much fun! People are still talking about how much fun it was almost 18 months later (I call that a success!).

Hi AllieH - 

TA Match - thanks!! I figured it didn't hurt to ask but my fiance was making feel as if this was unreasonable. 

Rooms - you are right, the EDR rooms are cheaper than the base room at Generations, EXCEPT if someone at EDR wants an oceanview or oceanfront.  In those instances, it would actually be cheaper to book a base room at Generations since it is oceanfront and they can just go over to EDR for kid-free relaxation. :)   I'm told that they will allow us to combine the blocks to qualify for any room block related perks - though I'm not sure how long that will last.  I have it on my radar to make sure this in my contract. 

When you had your wedding, did you use a Lomas package?  Some others are talking of bringing in outside flowers.  I'm not sure that will work or be permitted, though I was able to meet with a few non-Lomas vendors while I was down for the Dress Rehearsal & they were ok with that since we were just meeting in the lobby.  Maybe I can do the same if I go with an outside florist.  :rolleyes:

Hi AllieH -

That is TOTAL success & exactly the kind of success we are going for. My sister got married almost 10 years ago in our hometown and everyone still raves about how much fun they had and how amazing the food was.  That's what we want for our wedding.  My fiance thought doing a DW over a winter long weekend would be accomplish that.  Don't know what my extended family thinks but my coworkers & friends are excited. 

Generations Wedding - THANKS!!!! I will take a look.  I wonder if it's the same woman that posted on Tripadvisor. She said she was there first too and ended up there because the resort she booked was closing so her TA had to scramble 2 weeks out from her date.  :o

TA - thanks again for the reassurance.  It really makes me feel better!  I too thought asking rather than saying, thanks for the memories bye bye was better.  I circled back and am hoping she's able to tell me something and can score a match.  We want to do a block of 30 rooms (10 at Generations and the rest at EDR) then slowly release rooms back a small percentage at a time to avoid any penalties. 

Package - How does that work?  Do you take what's in the package and then only pay the per person fee for the number of guests that exceed the package max?  I am anticipating 50-75 guests so I ruled out using the complimentary package b/c I think we'll be over the 24/25 person max. :(   I hope that question made sense.  I'm still caffeinating. :) 

Did you use the Lomas DJ? If so, which one?  I'm paying an outside vendor fee for the photographer and was banned from paying another for video or anything else.  -_-

Also, did you do a tasting when you met with the onsite coordinator a few days before? I thought you get to do so but can't find where I saw that to confirm. I'm trying to decide if I need to make another trip down. 

Thanks again for all your help & insight!  I greatly appreciate it. 

the packages that I'm familiar with only come with a semi-private dinner. If you have any sort of private event (cocktail, dinner/reception, lunch, breakfast) it's a per person fee. those fees primarily go to pay for your service staff - bartenders, waiters, etc.

We used DJ All Music and really had no complaints about them at all. We were pretty exactly and had a long list of songs we wanted. They really stuck to it. They also followed the order of events that we requested - played the cake cutting song when we cut the cake, first dance, etc. We were pretty happy with them.

We didn't do any sort of tasting prior to our reception (other than having been at the resort for a few days prior). We LOVED our menu - the food was freshly prepared, and it was so good. We did a pick & choose dinner, so guests could choose between 2 entrees prior to the event. We chose the starter, the salad and the dessert for everyone. We never even thought to ask if we could do a tasting. We just trusted...

Package - How does that work?  Do you take what's in the package and then only pay the per person fee for the number of guests that exceed the package max?  I am anticipating 50-75 guests so I ruled out using the complimentary package b/c I think we'll be over the 24/25 person max. :(   I hope that question made sense.  I'm still caffeinating. :)

Did you use the Lomas DJ? If so, which one?  I'm paying an outside vendor fee for the photographer and was banned from paying another for video or anything else.  -_-

Also, did you do a tasting when you met with the onsite coordinator a few days before? I thought you get to do so but can't find where I saw that to confirm. I'm trying to decide if I need to make another trip down. 

Thanks again for all your help & insight!  I greatly appreciate it. 

Thanks Allie -

I took a look at the pics - the wedding looks nice!   I wonder where her ceremony & reception were located?  I'm hoping that's a pier and not the sky deck though.  UGH! LOL. 

Thanks for the feedback on All Music - are they the ones that do not do any emceeing?  I recall seeing that one DJ only does music, while the other will emcee as well. 

DJ All Music does have the emcee included. I think Mega DJ is the music-only option.

And while I don't know that the emcee is 100% necessary, I liked what it added. It made the event stress-free for us. All we had to do was enjoy it, and let them run the show.

I did think it looked more like a pier since it was so covered - but hard to tell!

when is your wedding? Maybe we can get some more scoop before it comes along.

Thanks Allie -

I took a look at the pics - the wedding looks nice!   I wonder where her ceremony & reception were located?  I'm hoping that's a pier and not the sky deck though.  UGH! LOL. 

Thanks for the feedback on All Music - are they the ones that do not do any emceeing?  I recall seeing that one DJ only does music, while the other will emcee as well. 

So great that you guys are talking about DJs!! I was just about to post about them.

Our wedding is on March 29th.

We originally were renting the DJ Equipment from the resort and our friend, who is a DJ here in NYC, was DJing for us but now for reasons beyond his control had to cancel the trip.

We are no scrambling a bit.

We were trying to decide between the hotel DJs and Doremixx (all 3 have availability). We don't necessarily need the DJ to MC everything as another one of our friends wants to do the major MCing (1st dance, etc). 

For the hotel DJs what was the difference between the $1000, $1500, $2000 pacakge. Is it really just more lights, etc?

Doremixx sent us an email that seems really thorough and even with the outside vendor fee the cost would be $1650 which if they are better than the hotel DJs we would go with that as the price is similiar.

For non wedding reception events (ie. welcome cocktails on the beach, etc) did anyone rent speakers? I know there are options that are not as expansive as the reception DJ equipment. 

Marisol seems to think an Ipod speaker system (even a BOSE or something of that sort which we could bring our own) will not be enough as the sound will get lost on the beach. 

For the ceremony they provide an Ipod dock correct? Is that enough or should we get a speaker?

I know that they say they will not your guests help to set up the reception. One of our guests is a florist and will be making our centerpieces. Any advice to have her be able to set them up?

Thanks

Amanda

So here are the options: 

DJ All Music -

$1500 - this is the one that comes with the MC

$2000 - this one comes with the MC, and then more lights and such

Mega DJ - $1000 - no MC, just the music

I'd suggest if you have someone who's willing to do the MC duties, go with Mega DJ. 

You can check out DJ All Music and Mega DJ videos on the Lomas website: 

http://www.weddingsbylomastravel.com/happy-couples/dj-testimonials/home/

I'm not sure a Bose speaker would be loud enough on the beach for events. At some of the other venues, yes, most likely. But the wind and waves on the beach may make it hard to hear any music you play. Worst case...you can plan for the Bose speaker, try it out when you get there, and if it doesn't work, tell the onsite WC you changed your mind. They can add the equipment to your total and you could pay onsite (assuming it's available). 

I would talk to your onsite WC during your meeting with her about your guest/florist helping with that set up. Just ask when the best time is for her to do her set up and not be in the way of the hotel staff. Generally that's the concern (being in the way), but someone who sets up weddings for a living is much less likely. You may have to be pushy about it...but if that's the way you want it, push. If they still say no, maybe a good compromise is she can put them together in the WC's office, and the staff can take them to the venue or something. 

Your wedding will be just fine. Don't sweat the last minute changes and details! 

So great that you guys are talking about DJs!! I was just about to post about them.

Our wedding is on March 29th.

We originally were renting the DJ Equipment from the resort and our friend, who is a DJ here in NYC, was DJing for us but now for reasons beyond his control had to cancel the trip.

We are no scrambling a bit.

We were trying to decide between the hotel DJs and Doremixx (all 3 have availability). We don't necessarily need the DJ to MC everything as another one of our friends wants to do the major MCing (1st dance, etc). 

For the hotel DJs what was the difference between the $1000, $1500, $2000 pacakge. Is it really just more lights, etc?

Doremixx sent us an email that seems really thorough and even with the outside vendor fee the cost would be $1650 which if they are better than the hotel DJs we would go with that as the price is similiar.

For non wedding reception events (ie. welcome cocktails on the beach, etc) did anyone rent speakers? I know there are options that are not as expansive as the reception DJ equipment. 

Marisol seems to think an Ipod speaker system (even a BOSE or something of that sort which we could bring our own) will not be enough as the sound will get lost on the beach. 

For the ceremony they provide an Ipod dock correct? Is that enough or should we get a speaker?

I know that they say they will not your guests help to set up the reception. One of our guests is a florist and will be making our centerpieces. Any advice to have her be able to set them up?

Thanks

Amanda

Thanks for your quick reply Allie!!!

My fiancee is super concerned about the DJ going off his script (he paid his way through college DJing and wants to give the dj a super master list...I think if he had it his way he would dj to make sure the music was perfect!)

Any experience if Mega DJ is pretty good about that?

@@MrsHK has a speaker to rent that I was thinking may be a good compromise between renting from the hotel and just doing an Ipod speaker.

It's like this: http://www.ionaudio.com/products/details/block-rocker-2010-model

Also we are doing the family style for our reception dinner at Tucanes. Any idea how easy that would be to maybe do some dancing between appetizer and main course?

Amanda

• Like 1