El Dorado Royale (EDR) Brides - POST HERE!

Mrendic-

Our original date was June 9, 2012 at Gazebo 55!! cheers.gif

We ended up moving up the date to May 12, 2012 to work around my fiance's football schedule and we were worried it might be starting to get too warm. Such a small world!

Originally Posted by mrendic go_quote.gif

Hey ladies,

So I've been silently stalking, errr.. I mean, reading EVERYTHING on this entire site. This will officially be my very first post! Exciting! I've been now engaged for about 2 years and wedding planning on and off for about a year. We are also getting married at El Dorado Royale-  on June 9th, 2012 at Gazebo 55! It seriously took us forever to figure out a location and a resort, but we ended up going with Mexico for the sake of our friends and family  She's awesome. We are now less than 4 months away and I'm FREAKING out. I honestly thought a destination wedding would be a whole lot less planning (and I'm sure it is compared to a wedding in the States) butttttt I can't believe how much I still have left to do! Luckily I have this site, which has helped tremendously! 

I see that a lot of you are having issues with people backing out- I know how it feels, it is ridiculously annoying. We just recently had one of the groomsmen back out and his reason was that he was going on a trip to Hawaii and couldn't afford to do both. My FI considers him one of his close friends, so he is really bummed. I know I would be too if one of my girls backed out! Either way, now we have an uneven number of bridesmaids and groomsmen which bothers me a little, but I will live. We only invited about 40 people and about 10 of those we definitely knew would not come (grandparents, etc) so I'm estimating our number to be around 20. We really just wanted something small and intimate, that way we can concentrate more on the people who really matter, and make their trip unforgettable. And the way I see it, the fewer people that come, the more money we will have to spend on excursions, private events & such! 

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi to my fellow EDR brides! xx cheers.gif

So, I just have to share a story related to many of our posts regarding frustrations with guests backing out... My fiance's cousin, (who is our age and lives 15 minutes from us), and has recently told us through email that he was going to come to the wedding and that he was hoping we could find him a roommate. For several weeks, we emailed around to some of the other single guys, asking if they would be willing to room with him. We were able to set him up with a super chill roommate (both of these guys can get along with anyone), who was traveling on the exact days my fiance's cousin wanted to go, and who was in the same profession, so we figured there would be plenty to talk about. All set, right?

Well last night, we open the mail and receive this individual's (my fiance's cousin) 'NO' rsvp in the mail. There was no note included on the sudden change, nor phone call or email. Just the card with the "declines" box checked off and his name. Um...WTF?! Three weeks ago, he told us he was amped to go, had us do all this work in trying to find him a roommate, etc., etc.; then, when he decides to not go, he just sends in his rsvp card with zero explanation? This guy makes a ton of money (more than my fiance and I combined) and has no trouble getting time off of work. There is nothing I can think of that would cause him to suddenly change his mind. AND to simply return the card and not even call/email/visit us to give an explanation or, at least write one on the card??

This is seriously getting to be ridiculous... (sorry for the rant, but it's fresh on my mind)

That is annoying and frustrating!  Has he not booked the room yet?  Is your fiance close enough to call him up and say "Hey I thought you were coming?" or something kind of casual so it doesn't seem like you are aggravated about it?  We had someone back out 1 or 2 weeks ago but it was a work related deal and nothing he could do about it.  He even offered to pay us if we were out any costs.  I thought that was very nice and considerate but definitely not needed.  It is shocking that people can be so cluless or inconsiderate when it comes to these things but I guess that's just life.  I'll tell you one thing, I will be very aware of how I handle RSVP's and attending weddings from now on.  I have to say I've never been good about sending RSVP's in so that is something that I've learned through this whole process.

We actually had a groomsman back out of our wedding as well and so we have an uneven number too which is not ideal but we'll make the most of it.  Here's the kicker though...he is still coming to Mexico!  So we did not do plus ones unless people were married or engaged because I didn't want an enormous wedding.  I also didn't want people bringing randoms and then breaking up and having to deal with canceled rooms etc.  Well one of my fiance's groomsman couldn't accept that so he is bringing her anyways but backed out of the wedding.  I was already not a fan of her so this obviously does not help things.  Some people just obviously lack class in this world!

Anyways soon I will be sitting in Mexico and hopefully not worry about these things.  I lived next Wednesday!  :-)

ElDorado2012-

Feel free to let it out! mad2.gif

We have had several people that have put down a deposit, but had not sent me their RSVP card back (which we requested back Feb 15th), so when we followed up with them, they just non-chalantly backed out and expect us to notify our travel agent... ummm?? I told my fiance that I was not handling it for them and that they would have to contact her to work everything out. Another guest texted my FI and said that if flights dont come down $40 by March 1, he and his guest arent going to attend. I realize March 1 is the date that total room payments are due, but I asked for RSVP cards back February 15th, so that I could take advantage of some sales on favors and OOT bag fillers. While it would obviously be great to have them come down, I'm just ready to know our final number so we can move forward. blink.gif

Another thing that is really getting to me, is people not sending their RSVP cards back. I understand if someone cannot go, but to not even bother checking the box and putting the already-stamped envelope back in the mail baffles me!!! So rude!

thatswck.gif

Originally Posted by ElDorado2012 View Post

So, I just have to share a story related to many of our posts regarding frustrations with guests backing out... My fiance's cousin, (who is our age and lives 15 minutes from us), and has recently told us through email that he was going to come to the wedding and that he was hoping we could find him a roommate. For several weeks, we emailed around to some of the other single guys, asking if they would be willing to room with him. We were able to set him up with a super chill roommate (both of these guys can get along with anyone), who was traveling on the exact days my fiance's cousin wanted to go, and who was in the same profession, so we figured there would be plenty to talk about. All set, right?

Well last night, we open the mail and receive this individual's (my fiance's cousin) 'NO' rsvp in the mail. There was no note included on the sudden change, nor phone call or email. Just the card with the "declines" box checked off and his name. Um...WTF?! Three weeks ago, he told us he was amped to go, had us do all this work in trying to find him a roommate, etc., etc.; then, when he decides to not go, he just sends in his rsvp card with zero explanation? This guy makes a ton of money (more than my fiance and I combined) and has no trouble getting time off of work. There is nothing I can think of that would cause him to suddenly change his mind. AND to simply return the card and not even call/email/visit us to give an explanation or, at least write one on the card??

This is seriously getting to be ridiculous... (sorry for the rant, but it's fresh on my mind)

He was actually supposed to be staying with another guest who has booked, so now I need to figure out what I'm going to do with that other guest. We are either going to have to pay the difference for him to have a single room now, or try to triple him up with another two single guys. Grrr.... Your groomsmen story is so frustrating! It really is hilarious to see how people behave...

I can't believe you leave next week! YAYAYAY for you!!!! Do you happen to have a time line of your reception that you might be able to send me, or post on here? I'm still trying to figure out the best way to time everything (speeches/toasts, first dances, garter, etc.)...

Originally Posted by ashbrooke3ou View Post

That is annoying and frustrating!  Has he not booked the room yet?  Is your fiance close enough to call him up and say "Hey I thought you were coming?" or something kind of casual so it doesn't seem like you are aggravated about it?  We had someone back out 1 or 2 weeks ago but it was a work related deal and nothing he could do about it.  He even offered to pay us if we were out any costs.  I thought that was very nice and considerate but definitely not needed.  It is shocking that people can be so cluless or inconsiderate when it comes to these things but I guess that's just life.  I'll tell you one thing, I will be very aware of how I handle RSVP's and attending weddings from now on.  I have to say I've never been good about sending RSVP's in so that is something that I've learned through this whole process.

We actually had a groomsman back out of our wedding as well and so we have an uneven number too which is not ideal but we'll make the most of it.  Here's the kicker though...he is still coming to Mexico!  So we did not do plus ones unless people were married or engaged because I didn't want an enormous wedding.  I also didn't want people bringing randoms and then breaking up and having to deal with canceled rooms etc.  Well one of my fiance's groomsman couldn't accept that so he is bringing her anyways but backed out of the wedding.  I was already not a fan of her so this obviously does not help things.  Some people just obviously lack class in this world!

Anyways soon I will be sitting in Mexico and hopefully not worry about these things.  I lived next Wednesday!  :-)

OMG I can't believe people would expect you to cancel their reservation for them!!!!!! That is insane!!!!! The $40 differential in flight cost is ridiculous too. If you are already spending $1,000+ to go on a trip, $40 is a deal breaker??? That is so strange... It's so hard not to take this stuff personally!

::SIGH:: Thanks for the moral support ladies!!!

Originally Posted by TheWolferts View Post

ElDorado2012-

Feel free to let it out! mad2.gif

We have had several people that have put down a deposit, but had not sent me their RSVP card back (which we requested back Feb 15th), so when we followed up with them, they just non-chalantly backed out and expect us to notify our travel agent... ummm?? I told my fiance that I was not handling it for them and that they would have to contact her to work everything out. Another guest texted my FI and said that if flights dont come down $40 by March 1, he and his guest arent going to attend. I realize March 1 is the date that total room payments are due, but I asked for RSVP cards back February 15th, so that I could take advantage of some sales on favors and OOT bag fillers. While it would obviously be great to have them come down, I'm just ready to know our final number so we can move forward. blink.gif

Another thing that is really getting to me, is people not sending their RSVP cards back. I understand if someone cannot go, but to not even bother checking the box and putting the already-stamped envelope back in the mail baffles me!!! So rude!

thatswck.gif

Originally Posted by TheWolferts View Post

Mrendic-

Our original date was June 9, 2012 at Gazebo 55!! cheers.gif

We ended up moving up the date to May 12, 2012 to work around my fiance's football schedule and we were worried it might be starting to get too warm. Such a small world!

That's too funny! I'm a little worried about the heat too, and that it might rain. Hopefully it will be ok. What time is your ceremony? We are doing the 6pm since sunset is at 7:30, hopefully that will give us enough time for photos and such.

You know, honestly, the worst part for me is the fact that they act sooooooo pumped to go and THEN back out. I just don't get it. If you can't make it for any reason, that's fine. But don't act so excited and then suddenly give some BS reason as to why you can't make it. Everyone has known about our wedding (exact location, costs, etc) for almost a whole year now, and to back out because you decided to plan another trip is just so low to me. He was the one who was acting most excited out of everyone, too. It's just crazy. 

You know, honestly, the worst part for me is the fact that they act sooooooo pumped to go and THEN back out. I just don't get it. If you can't make it for any reason, that's fine. But don't act so excited and then suddenly give some BS reason as to why you can't make it. Everyone has known about our wedding (exact location, costs, etc) for almost a whole year now, and to back out because you decided to plan another trip is just so low to me. He was the one who was acting most excited out of everyone, too. It's just crazy.