Photo

Okay to travel with passport 3 months before it expires?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#11 gigiram77

gigiram77
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:02 PM

Hello!
My passport is valid but it expires withing 3 months of the date I'm traveling. I'm going to Meixco in October and my passport expires in January. Does anyone think that will be a problem? I've tried to research it but most sites only state if it expires fairly recently, but 3 months is not too close to the date is it? Thanks for any info or direction you can point me to.
gigi

#12 ldeavila

ldeavila
  • 206 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 05:45 PM

You will be totally fine. I used to work for Customs in Chicago. As long as your passport is valid at the time of entry into Mexico.
[IMG]
Mr. & Mrs. Rangel!!!

#13 cougs

cougs

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 12,151 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:24 PM

you'll be absolutely fine. i think it would only pose a problem if it was to expire within a week of your travel, kwim? because anything can happen (like the icelandic volcano ash that prevented flights out of europe for a bit) ... in the event of some unexpected delay, you wouldn't want your passport to expire before you were able to get a flight home!

3 months? you're golden!

#14 Cindy*

Cindy*
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 06:41 PM

Some countries do not allow you to travel there if your passport expires within 6 months of when you are travelling, but from the above replies, it sould like Mexico is not one of them.

#15 cougs

cougs

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 12,151 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 07:12 PM

hmm this whole thing really piqued my curosity, so i looked further and just found this:

(Mexico Entry Requirements Immigration Customs Lone Parent)
Passport Validity

The maximum period of time that a visitor may stay in Mexico without a formal visa is six months. Therefore your passport, regardless of country of origin, should be valid for a minimum period of six months, however long you intend to stay to avoid any potential problems at the port of entry.

Immigration authorities at the port of entry may allow or deny entry of any person into Mexico. If you have a passport that is valid for less than six months and you intend to stay in Mexico for a short period of time -- perhaps a vacation -- the Immigration Officer might allow you entry.

Notwithstanding this, we recommend that you and your family members hold passports valid for at least six months from the date you plan to enter Mexico.

#16 Mere

Mere
  • 729 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougs View Post
hmm this whole thing really piqued my curosity, so i looked further and just found this:

(Mexico Entry Requirements Immigration Customs Lone Parent)
Passport Validity

The maximum period of time that a visitor may stay in Mexico without a formal visa is six months. Therefore your passport, regardless of country of origin, should be valid for a minimum period of six months, however long you intend to stay to avoid any potential problems at the port of entry.

Immigration authorities at the port of entry may allow or deny entry of any person into Mexico. If you have a passport that is valid for less than six months and you intend to stay in Mexico for a short period of time -- perhaps a vacation -- the Immigration Officer might allow you entry.

Notwithstanding this, we recommend that you and your family members hold passports valid for at least six months from the date you plan to enter Mexico.
So are you saying that our passport has to be valid for six months? We won't get ours for a few weeks and we leave July 19th.

#17 Mere

Mere
  • 729 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

WAIT-I think I understand now-we will be fine-I hope-lol

#18 cougs

cougs

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 12,151 posts

Posted 03 May 2010 - 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
So are you saying that our passport has to be valid for six months? We won't get ours for a few weeks and we leave July 19th.
haha no, it has to have 6 months left on it before it expires. you're fine!

#19 Mere

Mere
  • 729 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:08 AM

Thanks, Cougs-it took me a few readings to understand-lol

#20 Cindy*

Cindy*
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 04 May 2010 - 07:22 AM

I usually always renew my passport if I am going to be travelling with less than 6 months left because I am too lazy to check which countries have this rule. It is pretty common though. The sucky thinng is you are paying for a passport which is supposed to be good for 5 years but really it is only good for 4 1/2 years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter