Photo

bands in the area

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Lauren_Hirshon

Lauren_Hirshon
  • 33 posts

Posted 18 July 2007 - 11:29 PM

I am trying to find a good band. I was originally going to go with La Mata Band BUT EDR quoted me $2000 more than the band charges when I tried to do it through the resort!!. I am furious and am demanding to speak to higher ups etc. In case it doesnt work out, does anyone have any other suggestions? The WC recommended Ca±a y Algodon but I dont know anything about them. Has anyone heard of them or seen them?

#2 PaulSchrank

PaulSchrank
    • Vendor
    • 237 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 09:26 AM

You may find the same problem with any band you try to bring into an all-inclusive like EDR. They make money on everything with the spread between what you pay and what they pay their vendors. Often their vendors are chosen by who offers the maximum "spread". When you try to go around them and choose your own they will get their spread one way or another. It's really part of the all-inclusive deal. You get a bunch of things at a good package price but they charge you for everything else. It's how they make their money. I look at it like a baseball stadium, once you are inside it's no longer a free market, it's controlled by the stadium. So you pay way too much for a beer and a hot dog. Oh well, enjoy the game.

My advice is negotiate they heck out of the extra fee but understand it is their house and it's not a free market inside. Look at the big picture total budget. You save money for you and your guests by choosing an AI, but some things that you want will cost more. Even with the Algodon band you're gonna pay this fee, you just don't see it.

#3 Yazmin De La Mora

Yazmin De La Mora
      • Vendor
      • 336 posts

Posted 20 July 2007 - 01:06 PM

Hello Lauren.
        You can try with Movil, la mejor banda de la Riviera Maya they charge $800 usd per hour +- but you can always negociate with them. They are really good. Contact Rada directly through their website.
        Good Luck!
        Yazmin.

#4 clkaufman

clkaufman
        • 5 posts

Posted 22 July 2007 - 03:07 PM

I am getting married in september in Playa del carmen and having the same problem finding an american type dance band. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
          Thanks
          Casey Kaufman

#5 pribrzl

pribrzl
          • 50 posts

Posted 29 September 2008 - 02:28 PM

Hey Lauren,
            I am also in search of a good band. Did you end up finding one for yours? Please let me know. Thank you! P.

#6 MarieSam

MarieSam
            • VIP Member
            • 2,336 posts
              • LocationSouthern California

Posted 30 September 2008 - 03:10 AM

Hey gals, I am having my wedding in Akumal, Mexico and when going over music options my wedding coordinator suggested a local group called Bandikoro. They're a african/latin fusion band with great sound and style (there are 9 of them total so it's a huge ensemble). She had us listen to a cd of theirs while we were having our food tasting, and apparently they use really interesting instruments and get the crowd pumped up while weaving their way through tables and performing.

I believe pricing was about $1,000 for two to three 45-minute sets. Here's a link to their Myspace page which has some of their tracks:

MySpace.com - Bandikoro - Tulum, MX - Afro-beat / Latin / Reggae - www.myspace.com/bandikoro

#7 EmenGeeRoxx

EmenGeeRoxx
              • 279 posts
              • Wedding Date:January 19, 2010

Posted 01 October 2008 - 11:56 PM

I am looking for a salsa band that will play 95% salsa and 5% cha cha. No merengue, no bachata, no cumbia. I only got 1 recommendation so far. If you know of any others let me know.

Thanks

Attached Files

#8 pribrzl

pribrzl
              • 50 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 01:27 PM

Anyone have any feedback on La Mata? I am dealing directly with the band, and before I sign up, would like to know if anyone had experience with them.....help please! Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter