Photo

Anyone getting married first and not telling guests?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#11 sungoddess_08

sungoddess_08
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 12:55 PM

Hi girls,

I am wondering if anyone else is getting married prior to going to the DR. We have decided to get the Renewal of the Vows and save the paper work by getting married here first.

Is there any way to trick our guests, we DO NOT want them to know about this -- they are flying all the way there to see us be married, so I would feel awful.

I would love to hear any advice on how people have pulled this off, or are going to!!

#12 pamphilia

pamphilia
  • 362 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:17 PM

we are getting married here, prior to going down. i don't have any ideas on "tricking" the guests...we are just going to keep quiet about it.

i am a terrible secret keeper, so it will prove to be a challenge!!

your guests might catch on when you don't sign the registry while you are there.

i think i will just say we did the "paperwork' at home, and not actually say "we got married" at home.....as i won't consider it an actual wedding.
~pam

#13 dirtymartini

dirtymartini
  • 67 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:21 PM

Wow, I am so glad to hear I'm not alone! We got married by the Justice of the Peace in October and are having our wedding this November. We aren't telling anyone we are already legally married, it will take all of the magic out of it for me.

I was laid off and in desperate need of health insurance, so my fiance and I said "why not?"

#14 AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 02:49 PM

When we were planning a wedding in Mexico, we were going to "do the paperwork" here in TX first only because it seems to make things much easier in the long run.
I don't think anyone is going to notice if you don't mention something regarding the ceremony, so I don't think you'll have to trick anyone.

#15 sungoddess_08

sungoddess_08
  • 829 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 07:57 PM

I guess I didn't mean "trick" them in the sense of going to extra lengths -- I just wondered if there is a way to pull off the ceremony without guests noticing. Our bridal party also won't know, and I figured they would have to sign papers or something -- that's all I meant.

Thanks though!

#16 ChicagoPT

ChicagoPT
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:01 PM

we are getting legally married at home first. Only our families know. the way we look at it is that its just the paperwork, we arent really married until we say "I do" in front of our families, friends, and the big guy above!!

#17 SusieQ

SusieQ
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:08 PM

We got married last Saturday so I have been married a week. We are not telling anyone other than the two friends that are not coming to our wedding down south. They were our witnesses.
I don't feel i am tricking anyone... I am having a ceremony and reception in Mexico, and what more can they ask for.

#18 AnnaBanana

AnnaBanana
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungoddess_08 View Post
I guess I didn't mean "trick" them in the sense of going to extra lengths -- I just wondered if there is a way to pull off the ceremony without guests noticing. Our bridal party also won't know, and I figured they would have to sign papers or something -- that's all I meant.

Thanks though!
Hm, I see what you mean here. As far as witnesses and such? Yeah, I can see where that might be an issue. I'll have to think on this one!

#19 stevensFiance

stevensFiance
  • 164 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

Hello, getting married in Cancun in June, were getting married at homr in NY prior, and no one will know, but our witness and just going with the civil ceremony in Mexico.
But im curious about the process? I guess I change my name after mexico? So I dont have to apply for a new passport before hand?

He asked, I said YES!!! 1 <3 21 <3 04 - 5 <3 13 <3 08

#20 **Kat**

**Kat**
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 11:01 PM

We got married in December, but our actual wedding is in May. We wanted to get married before the first of the year to try to get a better tax return to help pay for the wedding :) :) and also to save money and time on the hoops you have to jumo though in Mexico. the nice thing about Montana is that you dont need a witness. So we havent (and wont be) telling anyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter