I just won a free vacation is it too good to be true?

ATTENTION ALL BRIDES!!!

AT WEDDING EXPO'S YOUR INFORMATION IS BEING GIVEN TO NATIONAL HEALTH STYLES, A COMPANY WHO CLAIMS TO HAVE BEEN IN BUSINESS FOR MULTIPLE YEARS WHO TELLS YOU UPON CALLING THAT YOU HAVE BEEN SELECTED FOR A FREE VACATION!  THIS IS A SCAM!!  THEY PRESSURE YOU TO BUY THEIR PRODUCT, LARGE, BULKY, USELESS COOKWARE THAT A SMALL OR PETITE WOMAN JUST CAN NOT MANAGE.  AFTERWARDS IF YOU DO NOT BUY THEIR PRODUCT THE GENTLEMAN DOING THE SHOW BECOMES RUDE AND SHORT. YOU DO RECIEVE A VOUCHER FOR A VACATION WHICH CAN NOT BE USED OVER A WEEKEND OR DURING ANY KNOWN HOLIDAY OR BREAK PERIOD AND A CUPON CARD IN THE MAIL (AFTER PAYING SHIPPING AND HANDELING) WHICH THEN YOU MUST USE FOR MORE SCAMS ON THE INTERNET. THE COST TO USE THE VOUCHERS IS GREATER THAN THE COST TO A NORMAL CONSUMER WHO COULD HAVE PURCHASED THE THREE DAY "VACATION" ON THEIR OWN OR PURCHASING A SUNDAY PAPER AND CLIPPING THE COUPONS FOR A BUCK.  MY FIANCE AND I HAVE BEEN CALLED LIAR'S, INSULTED AND THREATNED BY THIS COMPANY.  WE ARE NOW EXPERIENCING DAMAGE TO OUR CREDIT AND EMOTIONAL TURMOIL IN OUR RELATIONSHIP.  THEY ARE TAKING ADVANTAGE OF BRIDES AND MOM'S TO BE!!!  THE NEED TO BE STOPPED.  PLEASE BEWARE!!!

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

I was contacted and told that i was invtied to a cooking show. They didnt  say i won anything they just said that i would recieve a promotional gift package as part of an advertising promotion for attending the 90 min preview that included a cooking show. - ARG  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 months later...

This place is a joke. We actually put money down and the rest was to be financed. When their financing terms were absurd we asked for a refund. We have made over 20 phone calls, even sent certified letters, contaced the BBB, and am now looking at taking them to small claims. They were rude, gave us the run around, lied to us (told us a couple times they were sending our check), and even one guy tried to tell us with all the work they have done they feel they should have to be paid for it. Don't fall for this place...We are gonna do whatever we can do get our money back and let others know what kind of people you are dealing with!

• 8 months later...

I think maybe some people get the wrong idea because it is sales, so it's all about getting you in the door. I was called, and informed, that I had won a raffle. At first I thought this to be true, because I had entered a couple of raffles with bridal registries, but all I had read was the first place prize which was >.> wedding paid for so I didn't even know what second or third place winners would get. When I later heard "Bridal expo" I knew I had not gone to one. On the phone they were very nice and cordial, though (with my 8 years sales and marketing experience) I picked up on the "sales" pitch right away. You know the "You don't have to buy anything.". They did tell us, we'd have to pay airfare, and taxes. Okay that I expect. Even with "Buy one, get one." deals at the grocery, you're paying taxes on the "free" one. I won the original Ipad from an Apple store when they first came out. Yeah I had to pay about 40$ in taxes, plus I had to buy the charger for it, and the carry case, and some screen protectors. So all in all I had to pay around $120 for my "free Ipad".  Even my economics teacher in college stated "There is no such thing as free, someone somewhere is passing the cost along. You're just paying for it in a different way." And yes, they did say the taxes was around 39$ a day, but still that makes sense. Wyndham hotel resorts aren't the cheapest out there, plus they're covering all your food expenses. Those taxes add up. As for the blackout dates, they were upfront with us on that too. Which makes sense when it's a promotional deal. Even places like Orlando theme parks do this. They give Residents kick butt deals, like "Pay for a day and go all year on the FunPass." but blackout dates are all over the place. And you have to pay for your parking, and any other "extras" the park comes with. As for the pots and pans. Yes, they are expensive. They're the "waterless pans" which is the new thing out there. My mom's seen them in the DirectBuy catalog and even through them you're still talking $1200-$1800 for a 10pc set. This company is much like Cutco Cutlery, which many people scream is a scam. But I have worked for them and my family and I own their knife set. They're well worth the money. We love these knives so much. Dealing with the warranty can be tricky and a hassle sometimes, and of course every now and then you get that one knife that doesn't live up to it's promise and you have to send it in. Our problem knife came in my moms tableware set. One little stake knife was so annoying.We've had these knives for about 6 years now, and frankly I've replaced more knives in the 3 years of living on my own, before I got these knives, than I would care to think about. As for the voucher, it's 1year after you redeem it, so that's pretty nice. Most promotions are very selective about when you can redeem the prizes. Now I'll have to wait and see about my pots and pans coming in the mail, because we did buy them. So I can't say yay or nay to the claims of people not getting the items and such. Also, China isn't cheap, nor is fine crystal (which we didn't get the crystal, cause we already own a set). So if it all comes like it's suppose to then I can say I will most likely be happy. Even though we did pay about $3,000 after taxes and shipping and all that. Following prices outside of this company DirectBuy pots n pans $1800 for 10pc ( I went on the high end because we got the 18pc) $530 (online at NoritakeChina.com) for the china set we got, and we got the electric skillet instead of the flatware and stemware, which is found online for around $250 (google shopping) which adds up to $2580 and after you factor in $180 taxes (at FL .07%)  you're talking $2760, then factor in shipping and handling and warranty for such a expensive order. Yeah, $3000.00 is about right. Basically, it's about breaking it down and doing your research not only on what others "say" about the companies, but also about the items the company is selling. Regardless of their promotional packages, the fact that someone can get these items on a payment plan instead of shelling out money upfront is a big saving factor for lower income families who are looking to own good quality items. I mean, I'm not my mom. I can't afford a huge DirectBuy membership fee (It was like $3,000 for both my parents to sign up for the membership). Now the "financing option" I find questionable, mainly because while ease dropping onto a couple worried about not being approved because of their credit, I heard the guy say "Even if denied, you can still make the monthly installments." which makes since because Cutco Cutlery, did "installments" but they didn't do "financing" I honestly think the "financing" option is more so they can collect your information in a more detailed manner so you can't skip out payments on them.

• 2 weeks later...

That is a very good news, I want to have a free vacation too! If you have ever dealt with a trip that did not work out, you know it will cost you an enormous budget. Those who have been traveling with Carnival lately know just that. Vacations are pretty risky if you consider a million things can go wrong with your flight, hotel, car and more.