Should I change my venue from EDR?!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfwolfe72 View Post
I think I'm having my first wedding planning dilemma....My wedding is currently set for April 23, 2008 at EDR, but I'm having serious thoughts to change it. Maybe I'm just fired up about finding out that in order to bring an outside photographer, we have to pay EDR $500 or a two-night stay for the photog. But I just don't think that's right - especially since we will be bringing in at least 40 guests!! But I've heard such great things about EDR that maybe I should just suck it up. If we do decide to change, what are the comparable resorts in RM or Cancun? I would hate to have to start all over again, though!
Actually, as of last week, I found out they Lomas Travel, representing Karisma Hotels (edr included) is now charging $500 or asking for a 3 night stay, minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anne Marie View Post
Sol,
You said that the beach at EDR is 2/10?!?! Can you give me example of 8/10 + hotel with nice beach in Riviera Maya? What's you favorite?
Anne Marie
This was actually my opinion, labeling EDR as a 2. I'm pretty sure Sol doesnt enjoy the beach there either... Its not swim friendly and the beached sandbag whales are an eye sore.

Palladium Beach is beautiful, Dreams Tulum is beauuutfiul, Esencia. The beach at Azul Hotel (another Karisma hotel) is wonderful and amazing!

There are many other beautiful beaches, some have rocks some dont. A few site visits would help:)

Cheers!
matt

• 1 month later...

Hi Jennifer,

I believe I replied to one of you other posts, but I thought I would explain a little more about my photographer situation. I was using a Lomas Travel property to get married, and before I hired my lovely photographer Sol, I specifically asked whether I could bring in an outside photographer. Faith told me yes, if I put them on my guestlist, there was nothing they could do, and it would be fine. So I got ahead an hire Sol. Then Faith leaves, and I get Monica. I had read on BDW that Lomas brides were being charged $500, so I asked Monica to get in writing what Faith had told me I could do. She refused. Perhaps if I had known this up front it would have been a different story, but the fact that I asked and then they went back on what they told me infuriated me! The entire reason I went with Lomas was because they told me I could have an outside photographer, and it would be alright. So for that and other reasons, I left and found a lovely place/coordinator in Playa del Carmen (45 minutes south of Cancun). I totally understand being in love with the place, because it was really hard for me to leave Lomas as I had fallen in love with the ideas we created, but my anger and frustration won out. I don't think that they wouldn't let you bring your photographer in on the day of your wedding, I think they would just tell you to give them the $500.

It has been about two months now with the new place and coordinator, and things are awesome. Good luck with this decision, and please let me know if you want more information on my new place.

THat would have infuriated me too!! To be told one thing by Faith & then she leave and it all changes . . . totally not right! Good for you for finding another venue - bet that didn't sit to well with them!

Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinabop View Post
Hi Jennifer,

I believe I replied to one of you other posts, but I thought I would explain a little more about my photographer situation. I was using a Lomas Travel property to get married, and before I hired my lovely photographer Sol, I specifically asked whether I could bring in an outside photographer. Faith told me yes, if I put them on my guestlist, there was nothing they could do, and it would be fine. So I got ahead an hire Sol. Then Faith leaves, and I get Monica. I had read on BDW that Lomas brides were being charged $500, so I asked Monica to get in writing what Faith had told me I could do. She refused. Perhaps if I had known this up front it would have been a different story, but the fact that I asked and then they went back on what they told me infuriated me! The entire reason I went with Lomas was because they told me I could have an outside photographer, and it would be alright. So for that and other reasons, I left and found a lovely place/coordinator in Playa del Carmen (45 minutes south of Cancun). I totally understand being in love with the place, because it was really hard for me to leave Lomas as I had fallen in love with the ideas we created, but my anger and frustration won out. I don't think that they wouldn't let you bring your photographer in on the day of your wedding, I think they would just tell you to give them the $500.

It has been about two months now with the new place and coordinator, and things are awesome. Good luck with this decision, and please let me know if you want more information on my new place.

• 6 months later...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagsieMexico View Post
Definitely fight, but, I think from what I've heard that that is common at most resorts, so I would not change just because of that...

So far, only the Grand Palladium that I know of allows outside photographers... Actually, I dont' really know much about it, but I know that all of the resorts I was considsering, except for the Grand Palladium, had the no outside vendors rule...

Most places I looked at allowed outside photographers. I think it's more common that they do.

Hi Jennifer! I'm sorry you're dealing with this headache!

I'm dealing with the same questions - to change or not, because I don't like one aspect of the hotel.

My thought is this - your wedding is in April. Don't change. No matter where you go you're going to find at least one policy, situation, or something that irks you. Yes, it's $500. No one wants to pay that, and personally, I think it's intensely stupid that they would even ask. In theory, I get the idea that an outside photog would have to pay a day pass fee. But that should be all. Particularly if they are part of your guest list.

My vote is that you stick it out, and fight the policy.

If that is the hotel you want, then stay and fioght it, and I agree if you do leave, make sure that they all know that the fee was a big part of your decision. Write lots of letters! Perhaps if they hear it enough, or when they realize that people are just going to keep using the loophole, they will either reduce or eliminate the fee.

Hello

In my opinion I think you need to be careful changing all your plans this close to the wedding, particuarly with all the stress of finding another hotel, date ect.. just to find that perhaps most hotels have some sort of outside vendor policy!

Whilst it is really annoying all these fees ect, remember the overall result and having read all of the posts on here from brides at EDR, they have all been so very pleased and the photos have been amazing.

You picked EDR for a reason at the beginning, maybe you just need to revisit that reason!

I hope this brings a little balance to your post.

Anna x