Photo

Having a Friend or Family Member Officiate in Jamaica?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#11 ssleenyc

ssleenyc
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:42 PM

I always thought I would get married very traditional, in a church. I'm so happy and excited about doing destination in jamaica but looks like that won't be happening.

If I'm not doing church, I would rather be married by a friend or family member who did one of those online officiant things than by a stranger in Jamaica.

Does anyone know if this is possible in Jamaica?

#12 ~Andrea~

~Andrea~
  • VIP Member
  • 8,840 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 03:57 PM

I don't believe that is possible. The person marrying you has to be certified or something like that by the Jamaican government. We were just married in Ocho Rios and had the best minister! He was a last minute fill in when our original person didn't show up. I was so impressed with him, especially because he had to rush over at the last moment. He gave a beautiful ceremony and palm blessing for us! His name is Rev. Garland Black.

#13 marshall1980

marshall1980
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 05:58 PM

I'm getting married at the RIU Mo Bay & considering having my FI cousin perform our ceremony. The WC said that this would be fine, but a Jamaican officiant has to present during the ceremony and for the signing of the certificate. They are willing to work with us to incorporate this into our ceremony. Hope that helps!

#14 pugmomjenn

pugmomjenn
  • Banned
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

I think the previous poster is correct...you can have your own officiant but you also have to have a Jamaican officiant as well for it to be official. Good luck!

#15 JUSTUSTWO

JUSTUSTWO

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 12,193 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 09:53 PM

I recall a few ROR brides using their own officiciants as well. You should definitely check with the WC at the resort that you chose.

#16 ErinB

ErinB

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 9,504 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 07:39 PM

If you get married before or after legally, you can have anyone symbolically marry you.

If you still want to be married in Jamaica, the Jamaican officiant has to stand at the altar and witness the ceremony and he has to be the one the actually say 'I pronounce you man and wife'

#17 JenniferSS

JenniferSS

Banned

• Banned
  • 1,047 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErinB View Post
If you get married before or after legally, you can have anyone symbolically marry you.

If you still want to be married in Jamaica, the Jamaican officiant has to stand at the altar and witness the ceremony and he has to be the one the actually say 'I pronounce you man and wife'
Absolutely correct!!

#18 ashrose

ashrose
  • 422 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 03:13 AM

Yeah... I chose not to get married in Jamaica for the exact reason -- I wanted to fly someone in to officiate and wanted them to actually pronounce us man and wife....

We'll just visit Jamaica later I suppose. :)

#19 trina0724

trina0724
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

We are having my BIL officiate, but we are getting legally married in the states first.

#20 spunkypnay

spunkypnay
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 April 2009 - 10:53 PM

I am doing the same thing. I am getting married in the states first. We will then do a renewal of vows package which generally costs much less than a wedding. My FI best friend who is a pastor will then marry us in Jamaica. Great idea, you don't have to wait 3-6 months or so to receive your wedding certificate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter