Erika J

VIP Member

• VIP Member
  • 8,569 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:55 AM

Hey.

My FI is interested in the black tungsten wedding bands, Like this on:
Black Tungsten Rings & Bands

Our jewler that sold us the E -ring did not seem to have good things to say bout tungsten and had no info on the black tungsten.

Does anyone have any info good or bad on black tungsten?

Side note: a lot of the websites have lifetime guarantees , so they must "last".

#12 JoLo908

JoLo908
  • 889 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:19 AM

My friends Husband has the tungsten band. She said they do not scratch or break, and if ever your husband would need a bigger size, he would have to send his ring back to the company to get it replaced because they do not resize the rings.

#13 tina82

tina82
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

All I know about tungsten rings is that they can not be resized so order the right size, they are really strong, and dont scrach.

I bought FI a tungsten ring. I also know lots of people who have bought them and are pleased with them.
Christina

#14 Jeremy_Gilliam

Jeremy_Gilliam
  • 335 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:41 AM

The jeweler probably doesn't like Tungsten because it is not as expensive as their platinum bands :)
I have a titanium and a tungsten band. What I heard when I was shopping is that they are so strong that if you have an accident and break your finger or it swells up then the hospital has to have a special tool or a laser to cut the band off, and you may be out of luck. However, Snopes says that is false, so I think you are good to go: snopes.com: Titanium Wedding Rings

#15 Diana

Diana
  • 167 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:17 AM

Anyone heard anything about allergies? My guy is allergic to most jewelry...just another Q to answer! Thanks.

#16 soon2bePowers

soon2bePowers
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:11 AM

I just did a search on Tungsten and Titanium mens bands. Everything I read had pros and cons.

Biggest Pro was that they are very sturdy and most people are not allergic to them like golds.

Biggest Con and this was on every site I read, even ones that specialized in the rings said that they cannot be made smaller and can only be made a tad bit larger and they is by changing the thickness giving more room for the finger. They all also said it takes special tools to get it off.

I have heard that some rings are made with a 'weak' spot which makes them easier to get off.

I love the look of them and the cost of them, but after researching I am a bit apprehensive about buying one. Most likely you will never have to have you ring cut off but..you never know.

#17 soon2bePowers

soon2bePowers
  • 382 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:22 AM

If you decide to go with Tungsten or Titanium, Amazon.com had a large selection. That is where my FI and I found several that we like.

#18 Sloan

Sloan
  • 1,279 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 10:52 AM

Even if you were to buy another metal and your finger swelled up - the hospital would most likely just cut whatever ring you had on, off. That's what we do anyway.

My guy bought a Tungsten ring - our insurance covers "sizing up or down" so getting a whole new ring if he needs.

#19 Abbie

Abbie
  • Moderators
  • 25,218 posts
  • Wedding Date:7-11-2008 AND 7-15-2008
  • Wedding Location:Santa Maria Bay Beach, Cabo San Lucas, BCS, Mexico
  • LocationSeattle

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:09 AM

idk about black tungsten, but my hubby has black titanium, and its not really black. the black color scratches off fairly easily. its just some sort of treatment. if your fi works in manual or hard labor, i would advise against getting black if the black of the tungsten is similar to the black on the titanium.

#20 tina82

tina82
  • 184 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 11:51 AM

Yes they do have a weak spot to get them off in an emergency,
Christina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter