Photo

Alternative to 'Who Gives this Woman in Marriage'?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#11 Samantha S

Samantha S
  • 369 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 05:36 PM

Hi Ladies, I was just reading through a recent thread and I thought this would be a good topic for the forum. Let me know if there are already threads about this! My Dad is walking me down the aisle but I agree with some of the ladies that saying 'who gives this woman in marriage' doesn't fit for me. We're very close but it's a little old school for me. I know he could just walk me and sit down but does anyone have ideas of something to say in place of this?

#12 Hartyt509

Hartyt509
  • 2,262 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 06:05 PM

God I hadn't even thought of that, last time I got married they never asked that, maybe just ask them to miss it out

#13 jamisoncollette

jamisoncollette
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 09:48 PM

We are using "who shares this woman" because my parents aren't ready to give me to anyone!

#14 Ellipse22

Ellipse22
  • 584 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisoncollette View Post
We are using "who shares this woman" because my parents aren't ready to give me to anyone!
I like that!

I unfortunately am giving myself away..I guess in a sense I already gave myself to him lol

I sure hope they don't ask this question because my dad won't be there and I'm sure it will get me crying!

#15 kpate79

kpate79
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 June 2008 - 10:33 PM

I was thinking about this too b/c my oldest brother is walking me down since my parents have passed away.

#16 Karen

Karen
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:45 AM

I like this. It's very sweet. I did a google search and found this.

Officiant: Now is when traditionally it is asked who is giving this bride's hand in marriage. Instead, I ask you, Bride's Name, is it true are you here of your own free will and do you come with your family's blessings?

Bride: Yes, it is true.

Officiant: Wonderful. And with whom do you come and who's blessings accompany you?

FATHER: She comes with me, her father, and she is accompanied by all of her family's love and blessings.
<center><embed src="http://www.widdlytin...nancyticker.swf" FlashVars="t1=Baby Lambert is on the way&b=7&c=0xCC00CC&f=5&y=2010&m=4&d=14" quality="high" wmode="transparent" width="430" height="115" name="Pregnancy Ticker" align="middle"...

#17 Tropical Imaging

Tropical Imaging
  • Vendor
  • 336 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:52 AM

When I got married, my dad announced that he was pleased to welcome my husband and his family into our family.

Just another option.

Krys

#18 Carolyn

Carolyn
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 22 June 2008 - 08:59 AM

I love luckyk72 answer. I think thats a great way !!

#19 Samantha S

Samantha S
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky k72 View Post
I like this. It's very sweet. I did a google search and found this.

Officiant: Now is when traditionally it is asked who is giving this bride's hand in marriage. Instead, I ask you, Bride's Name, is it true are you here of your own free will and do you come with your family's blessings?

Bride: Yes, it is true.

Officiant: Wonderful. And with whom do you come and who's blessings accompany you?

FATHER: She comes with me, her father, and she is accompanied by all of her family's love and blessings.
Ohhh, I really like this!! THanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpate79 View Post
I was thinking about this too b/c my oldest brother is walking me down since my parents have passed away.
I'm sorry! It will be very sentimental to have your brother do so and I am sure the one that Lucky recommended would work great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipse22 View Post
I like that!

I unfortunately am giving myself away..I guess in a sense I already gave myself to him lol

I sure hope they don't ask this question because my dad won't be there and I'm sure it will get me crying!
I don't think they will if you don't walk with anyone down the aisle. Sorry your Dad won't be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamisoncollette View Post

That's funny, I can see my Dad saying something like that.

#20 adias.angel

adias.angel
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellipse22 View Post
Your not alone in this one. I read a thread on here where someone suggested your FH meet you 1/2 way down the aisle. I though it was the sweetest thing. This is what we are doing and I am going to carry a memory frame with my dads picture in it so that both of the important men in my life are with me. Might make you feel a bit better to about your dad not being there....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter