Photo

Witnesses Also Need to Be in Mexico 3 Days Prior?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 evonut

evonut
  • 92 posts

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:52 AM

Hello, fellow brides

My wedding is booked with Riu Palace Riviera Maya. I know that the bride and groom need to be in Mexico three days prior.

Question: Do our witnesses also need to be there three days prior too?

#2 Christine

Christine
    • VIP Member
    • 21,514 posts
    • Wedding Date:July 20, 2007
    • Wedding Location:Napa, California
    • LocationReno, NV

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:58 AM

I think someone "bought their witnesses"
    Christine + Will (married 7/20/07) + Ainsleigh (born 6/25/08) + Nolan (born 11/9/10) + Delaney (born 12/31/13) = One Very Happy Family!

#3 TammyWright

TammyWright

Admin & Owner

• Administrators
    • 11,655 posts
    • Wedding Location:Dreams Los Cabos

Posted 02 February 2007 - 12:58 AM

if the witnesses need to be there during the legal ceremony with the judge. alot of times, if they cannot, the WC will be the witness.

Founder and Owner of BestDestinationWedding.com  /  Bride & Groom Fly FREE Promotion

Looking for a travel agency that specializes in Destination Weddings-CLICK HERE?  We are an award winning travel agency and you can read our reviews here.

Awards and recognition: 
    Palace Resorts Winner "Top Travel Agent", "Top Homebased Travel Agency" PRO Platinum Agency (Top Award)     |    AMResorts Master Agent & Top Agency  
    Karisma Hotels Diamond Level 5 (highest production), Top 10 Azul Weddings, Top Wedding Coordinator | Wright Travel & Karisma GIVC Benefits
    Travel Impressions Best of the Best Globe Winner    |     Apple Vacations Golden Apple Winner  
    sml_gallery_206696_17612_13451.pnggallery_206696_17572_8409.jpg    sml_gallery_206696_17572_1003.jpg
    Vendor rules are HERE! Please read!  If you are a vendor and looking to advertise your business, please email ads@bestdestinationwedding.com.

#4 VALERIE

VALERIE
    • 97 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:17 PM

I would recommend asking the wedding coordinator at the hotel. We had to have 4 witnessess, all have to be in Mexico for the same length of time (3 days for our resort). However, I do know that different resorts have different rules.

We only had 2 witnesses from our group that could make the trip in that timeframe. Then we "bought" the other 2 witnesses from the resort. They were $20 a piece, cash.

It was funny in the end though. The two witnesses were (1) the wedding coordinator and (2) the staff member that repeated the ceremony in English. :)

#5 MelissaH

MelissaH
      • 1,724 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 06:25 PM

Our witnesses can't be there 3 days in advance so the resort is providing us with witnesses.

#6 evonut

evonut
        • 92 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 04:18 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by VALERIE
          I would recommend asking the wedding coordinator at the hotel. We had to have 4 witnessess, all have to be in Mexico for the same length of time (3 days for our resort). However, I do know that different resorts have different rules.

We only had 2 witnesses from our group that could make the trip in that timeframe. Then we "bought" the other 2 witnesses from the resort. They were $20 a piece, cash.

It was funny in the end though. The two witnesses were (1) the wedding coordinator and (2) the staff member that repeated the ceremony in English. :)

I'm not understanding why they need to be there three days PRIOR to the wedding--it's not like they have to get their blood test done or anything.

I'll check with the coordinator--hopefully, this is not the case. Otherwise, it looks like we'll have to have 4 'bought' witnesses from the resort. :-(

#7 mexicobride

mexicobride
          • 88 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 06:24 PM

I am getting married at the Riu Palace Mexico on April 23. They are providing our witnesses but have made no mention of having to "buy" them.

What have they told you about documents? They told us all we need is birth certs and passports. They said they don't need apostille or to be translated. Is that consistent with what they told you? They have assured me twice that that is all we need and that rules are different in Cancun than in Playa.

Also, have you talked to them about having a translator for your ceremony? Just wondering how that works.

When is your wedding?

#8 MelissaH

MelissaH
            • 1,724 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:02 PM

Quote:
              Originally Posted by evonut
              I'm not understanding why they need to be there three days PRIOR to the wedding--it's not like they have to get their blood test done or anything.

I'll check with the coordinator--hopefully, this is not the case. Otherwise, it looks like we'll have to have 4 'bought' witnesses from the resort. :-(
              They needed the witnesses there to sign all the paperwork that has to be sent to city hall before the wedding, just FYI :)

#9 lambert13

lambert13
              • 901 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:44 PM

Another option is to use people at the resort who may have already been married while they were there.

I have heard of some long lasting friendships created this way. Not somoething to count on, but it could be special if it happened.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter