Jump to content

Photo

EDR Reception?s


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 animaldoc

animaldoc
  • Newbie
  • 91 posts

    Posted 02 April 2008 - 04:41 PM

    I have a couple of questions regarding my options for a reception at EDR. Starting with the free dinner, did anyone use the free dinner as there reception, did you show up in your gown and did you feel weird, was the table just in the middle of the restaurant or was it semi-private?
    Next, since I will only have 10-12 people at my wedding, I have the option to have a private event, but will have to pay for 16 people instead of the number I will really have, so I am still debating if this is worth it or not. What did you choose if you had a private event, it was recommended that I choose a la carte or the family style buffet.

    Any suggestions/advice would be great!!

    Thank you,
    Jennifer

    #2 MrsV-to-be

    MrsV-to-be
    • Member
    • 554 posts

      Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:02 PM

      Hi!
      there are a few threads with a tone of information regarding EDR receptions and who has done what in Rivera Maya thread.
      But basically, yes there have been some brides that have done the free dinner. and there are some who have done the private reception. some have even done both!!
      Personally, I am using the free dinner as our rehearsal dinner, and then I am having a private reception dinner (BBQ Deluxe buffet) on our wedding day.

      I believe that the free dinner is semi-private, and everyone that has done it was happy with it!
      I chose not to use the free dinner, because we had more then 40 guests, and I just personally preferred to have something more private.

      Good luck!

      #3 jfwolfe72

      jfwolfe72
      • Jr. Member
      • 433 posts

        Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:05 PM

        I'm planning on having the free dinner as my reception, but then we're going to move to Gaviotas afterwards for a private party (just for a private space for drinks, cake, and dancing). that's just an $8.00/person charge. i'll be in my gown at el cocotal for the free dinner, though, so i'll let you know how i felt after i get back. like mrs. v-to-be said, i haven't heard any former EDR bride say that she felt weird in her gown at the free reception, but now i'm worried about that! (just kidding - it will be fine).

        #4 MrsV-to-be

        MrsV-to-be
        • Member
        • 554 posts

          Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:11 PM

          Quote:
          Originally Posted by jfwolfe72
          i haven't heard any former EDR bride say that she felt weird in her gown at the free reception, but now i'm worried about that! (just kidding - it will be fine).
          haha - Ladies I'm sure you will both look just fine. If anyone is staring it's because they will be staring at the beautiful bride!!

          #5 jfwolfe72

          jfwolfe72
          • Jr. Member
          • 433 posts

            Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:15 PM

            Quote:
            Originally Posted by MrsV-to-be
            haha - Ladies I'm sure you will both look just fine. If anyone is staring it's because they will be staring at the beautiful bride!!
            Or the one who's had too much to drink!

            You're very sweet!

            #6 animaldoc

            animaldoc
            • Newbie
            • 91 posts

              Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:16 PM

              Oh no Jfwolfe, I am sorry, everything will be perfect!! I am just trying to go over all my options, it seems most people here are paying for a private event and I was hoping to get some feedback from those using the free dinner. The dessert option afterwards sounds perfect and I think I am going to look into that. Sorry again if I created any panic, definitely not my intention!

              One more question, Jfwolfe, are you having any type of cocktail party after your ceremony or are you just doing the free dinner and then the dessert?

              #7 mellowdrama

              mellowdrama
              • Newbie
              • 14 posts

                Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:20 PM

                My wedding at the EDR will be on Dec 1st, and I too am trying to decide what to do for our reception.

                Right now, the tentative plan is that we will be using our 'free dinner', as breakfast on the day of the wedding. At that point, we'll give out the wedding favors and cameras and all of that stuff. The ceremony is planned for later that day, at sunset on the beach, and we are thinking about having a 'private cocktail party' afterwards as a casual reception.

                I'm not sure if the private cocktail party is held indoors, or outdoors. I'm still waiting (impatiently) to hear back from my wedding co-ordinator, Monica.

                I'm getting slightly irritated with Monica, as she doesn't seem to be making many suggestions or offering much assistance. It seems that if I want any feedback from her, I have to ask very specific questions, and she will offer very specific answers. She doesn't seem to volunteer much info. Kind of frustrating when you think about how much we're spending on this trip/wedding.

                Anyway... I hope your plans go smoothly!

                #8 jfwolfe72

                jfwolfe72
                • Jr. Member
                • 433 posts

                  Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:22 PM

                  Quote:
                  Originally Posted by animaldoc
                  Oh no Jfwolfe, I am sorry, everything will be perfect!! I am just trying to go over all my options, it seems most people here are paying for a private event and I was hoping to get some feedback from those using the free dinner. The dessert option afterwards sounds perfect and I think I am going to look into that. Sorry again if I created any panic, definitely not my intention!

                  One more question, Jfwolfe, are you having any type of cocktail party after your ceremony or are you just doing the free dinner and then the dessert?
                  LOL - No worries nor panic created at all! I was just kidding. Other than the photographer issue, I'm totally cool as a cucumber about everything and will just roll with whatever happens. It will all turn out great, I just know it. Anyway, I'll write a detailed review after I get back and let you know how my free dinner turned out.

                  As for the cocktail party, we're having a Welcome Reception the night before. I believe that costs $18/person (depending on the number of canapes you get). We're also getting the donkey and a mariachi band for that. It will be a two hour event at Tucanes. Again, I'll give you the complete lowdown on all of this after I get back.

                  #9 jfwolfe72

                  jfwolfe72
                  • Jr. Member
                  • 433 posts

                    Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:24 PM

                    Quote:
                    Originally Posted by animaldoc

                    One more question, Jfwolfe, are you having any type of cocktail party after your ceremony or are you just doing the free dinner and then the dessert?
                    Whoops - I don't think I really answered your question - we are having a private cocktail party after our free dinner - that's the party that costs $8/person for the private location. We're going to eat our cake at that, though. We'll also use that for the dancing and continued drinking part of our reception. We're going to take a CD of all of the songs we want to play at the reception and play it there.

                    #10 jfwolfe72

                    jfwolfe72
                    • Jr. Member
                    • 433 posts

                      Posted 02 April 2008 - 05:26 PM

                      Quote:
                      Originally Posted by mellowdrama
                      I'm getting slightly irritated with Monica, as she doesn't seem to be making many suggestions or offering much assistance. It seems that if I want any feedback from her, I have to ask very specific questions, and she will offer very specific answers. She doesn't seem to volunteer much info. Kind of frustrating when you think about how much we're spending on this trip/wedding.
                      I used Monica during my planning process and didn't really have too many complaints until recently about her. Since you're early in the process, I wonder if you could "switch" to Valeria. All of the EDR brides who have worked w/ her, loved her. Monica is sweet and nice - she gets back to you after a day or so - but she's not very organized and unless you stay on top of her w/ your organizational stuff, things may get kind of confused.....




                      0 user(s) are reading this topic

                      0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users







                      Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter