ROYAL PLAYA DEL CARMEN BRIDES: were kids allowed for the day? ...and other questions

WOW!! Lot's of action over the weekend. Awesome!!

Lisa and other brides - My Mom called me this morning about the explosion and I had to tell her, that could happen anywhere. It's not some crazy druglords going postal. LOL...

You'd think living in Texas she would be used to the craziness of our south of the border neighbors.

I do agree that what's going on does have me concerned about our wedding next year. I have fingers crossed that it clears up and doesn't affect PDC that much.

JESS!! Welcome back!! So glad to hear you had an amazing time and so happy your photography was okay and made it for the big day.

JoZee - I have 3 bridesmaids and am buying their dresses. I don't want to get too crazy with the gifts bc of budget but they'll appreciate whatever you can do. It's the thought that counts.  

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

People died in this tragic event, and it seems disrespectful to the families that you are treating this sensitive subject so lightly. One of the deceased was the groom who only had gotten married the day prior to the accident. I hope you all have your wedding safely at the resort, but please be sensitive to the issues (I'm especially referring to the "lol's" that are being posted in reference to the event). Thank you.

hi jozee - as the other brides mentioned, I was planning to buy the dresses for my bridesmaids (due to the trip expense, I don't want them to have to pay for anything else, especially a 1x wear mandantory dress of my chosing (in fuschia, nonetheless). ; ) 

however, I think an all-around, classy, nice but-not-too-expensive gift is a pashmina wrap. if you do a search, you should find sites where people purchased theirs for less (it's a pretty popular idea).

another favorite gift I saw on four weddings (TLC) was during the reception, a photographer came around and took pictures of the guests together. then, later in the evening, people returned to their tables to find a framed photo of themselves. maybe it would be relatively simple to take some casual pool shots before the ceremony and print them in town (or bring a tiny photo printer) and give them to your bridal party (and groomsmen?) as framed gifts during the reception? you may even be able to pick up some cool local 'playa' frames, depending on when you arrive.

Originally Posted by JoZee84 View Post

Ok ladies, I need help.  What is or did everyone get their bridesmaids for gifts?  I feel like I should get them something really nice because their all taking the trip down to Mexico for us.  Last weekend was my sisters wedding and she got us personalized jewelery boxes that were $125 each! I don't think that's in our budget. She also only had 2 of us and I have 4 girls to buy for.  What kind of gifts are you getting your bridal party?

these types of freak accidents happen wherever you are.  i live in NYC & there was a gas line explosion 2 blocks from my old office a few years ago that blew up an entire intersection by grand central. if i had not left early, i would have been there around the time it happened. so i figure it's horrible particularly when people get hurt (!) but it can happen anywhere at any time.  it's hard to imagine that such an accident is the real reason why sometime has not booked yet. i had issues with people telling me they were coming but didn't book, i think it's the nature of the beast when you have a destination wedding.

ladies, don't be stressed.  everyone i tell that i'm getting married on the beach in mexico has the same response - OMG, that's amazing, i want to come, i wish i did that, etc etc

question:  i've read the posts before, but would love clarification from any recent brides.  IS 8 PEOPLE AT A TABLE TOO MUCH?  IS 6 MUCH BETTER?  i have some tables with 6, some with 8, just want to make sure it won't be tight before i set it all in stone.  thanks!!

Originally Posted by Lisa DSO View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by risa1818 View Post

Well it looks like tons of my friends and family are really freaking out over this explosion. I have no idea what to do. I'm starting to get really nervous that people are not going to come because of all the bad press and stuff going on.... :(  My mom is trying to get me to move everything to somewhere else....

Jess- YAY!! So glad you had an amazing wedding!!! Can not wait to see your pics!!! All of us were thinking of you on Friday :)

My dad also suggested that I move the wedding to Canada (FI's from there) lol. Unfortunately it seems to be the reality that a good portion of people will not go. I had people (even two in my wedding party, including my MOH) who are no longer going :-(. One of my bridesmaids still hasn't booked and we leave a week from today. O_o  ....people will have the best intentions, but realistically the majority will not. 

So my Dad called me and is now saying that he does not feel comfortable going to Mexico.

I am freaking out. I have deposits paid, guests have paid deposits. I honestly don't understand. I realize that their has been some violence in the news about Mexico but we all know it was not in these areas, it is a lot more dangerous near the U.S. borders if anything! This terrible explosion is just making people freak out more even though it was a freak accident.

I am really stressed and have no idea what to do sad.gif

Originally Posted by orbitingbklyn View Post

question:  i've read the posts before, but would love clarification from any recent brides.  IS 8 PEOPLE AT A TABLE TOO MUCH?  IS 6 MUCH BETTER?  i have some tables with 6, some with 8, just want to make sure it won't be tight before i set it all in stone.  thanks!!

I had one table with 8 and 3 tables with 6.  All the tables looked great and at the 8 it looked like they had plenty of room :)

another favorite gift I saw on four weddings (TLC) was during the reception, a photographer came around and took pictures of the guests together. then, later in the evening, people returned to their tables to find a framed photo of themselves. maybe it would be relatively simple to take some casual pool shots before the ceremony and print them in town (or bring a tiny photo printer) and give them to your bridal party (and groomsmen?) as framed gifts during the reception? you may even be able to pick up some cool local 'playa' frames, depending on when you arrive.

Aww Kelly what a cute idea, I love that. Jozee, I agree that they will like whatever you get them. I even saw a really cute jewelry box that you can have engraved for only 7.00 on the knot.

bon_dia,

I think I can safely say that no one here is taking it lightly, nor does anyone here have a malicious bone in their body. If you were referring to me, then I'm sorry if what you interpreted/miscontrued offended you, but the ladies who frequent this forum know that my father requested this months ago (and this had nothing to do with the recent incident). The "lol" was in explanation of the randomness of why he suggested Canada.

Ya I saw ahahahahah halerious

Marvin did the most beautiful job - everything looked incredible I never got to meet him. My WC Yazmin took care of everything she was so amazing and her team. I could not have pulled the day off with out her.

They did not charge me for Fernando. I went and met him in the lobby explained to security and all was well. They gave them visitor passes. He is soooooo amazing and the hair guy Gama. We had so much fun with them. 

Also our non resort guests came on the night of the welcome dinner and came and hung out in the lobby and also for the day of the wedding. They were even able to get drinks. The security guys and the staff were amazing about everything and we had no problems.

Originally Posted by Lisa DSO View Post

Jess, i'm go glad you had the wedding of your dreams! If you get a chance to read back a bit, I had a dream that we all watched your wedding on webcam ...it was hilarious. 

How did things go with Marvin? Did you meet him somewhere? Also, did they charge you for Fernando? 

Thank you!!!

Originally Posted by JHarris View Post

WOW!! Lot's of action over the weekend. Awesome!!

Lisa and other brides - My Mom called me this morning about the explosion and I had to tell her, that could happen anywhere. It's not some crazy druglords going postal. LOL...

You'd think living in Texas she would be used to the craziness of our south of the border neighbors.

I do agree that what's going on does have me concerned about our wedding next year. I have fingers crossed that it clears up and doesn't affect PDC that much.

JESS!! Welcome back!! So glad to hear you had an amazing time and so happy your photography was okay and made it for the big day.

JoZee - I have 3 bridesmaids and am buying their dresses. I don't want to get too crazy with the gifts bc of budget but they'll appreciate whatever you can do. It's the thought that counts.  

Risa I know its hard right now and this goes for all you ladies but deep breathes. Remember what happened with Mexicana and I thought everyone was going to cancel. I know this is a much more serious situation but like everyone is saying this was a freak accident.

I dont know if this will help at all but if you would like friend request me on Facebook and show your family all the pictures of all of my 85 guests. We felt so safe there and there was no police presence by the way. We stayed out till 5am and all our guests cannot stop saying what an amazing time it was. What happened is absolutely horrible but again it was a freak thing that can happen anywhere.

On facebook   http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=26902968

or here is my email jesmcan@yahoo.com if you have any family and friends who would like to email me please feel free

Another note we all used american dollars - it is only for purchases over $100 and anyone who wanted to spend more than that used their cards anyways

Originally Posted by risa1818 View Post

So my Dad called me and is now saying that he does not feel comfortable going to Mexico.

I am freaking out. I have deposits paid, guests have paid deposits. I honestly don't understand. I realize that their has been some violence in the news about Mexico but we all know it was not in these areas, it is a lot more dangerous near the U.S. borders if anything! This terrible explosion is just making people freak out more even though it was a freak accident.

I am really stressed and have no idea what to do sad.gif