becks

VIP

• VIP Member
  • 4,881 posts
  • Wedding Date:August 9, 2008
  • Wedding Location:Riviera Maya
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:56 PM

Oh! Totally forgot to tell you! FI okayed the web site - yippee!

I'd love your thoughts before FI's family start looking at it.

Happily married since 2008

Allurements by Rebecca - Destination Wedding Invitations and more

#112 neen

neen
  • 633 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 12:58 PM

Melissa - thanks for being honest. I wasn't even sure what I would do after photos all dressed up in a white wedding gown waiting for the reception to start. So I think we'll ultimately have to have cocktail hour from 4-5 and start the reception at 5pm. What do you guys think of really having JUST cocktails at the cocktail hour and not food since dinner is going to start at 5? Is that tacky? Its not a money thing, its a hunger point thing. And to be clear, I'd rather have nothing or a lot of cocktail food versus just a crudite platter (i just think that would look cheap). Again, thoughts

#113 MissyR

MissyR
    • 1,210 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:04 PM

Becks I love your website (and I may be copying your test your Spanish section!) Awesome job!

#114 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
      • 4,881 posts
      • LocationNew York

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by neen
      Melissa - thanks for being honest. I wasn't even sure what I would do after photos all dressed up in a white wedding gown waiting for the reception to start. So I think we'll ultimately have to have cocktail hour from 4-5 and start the reception at 5pm. What do you guys think of really having JUST cocktails at the cocktail hour and not food since dinner is going to start at 5? Is that tacky? Its not a money thing, its a hunger point thing. And to be clear, I'd rather have nothing or a lot of cocktail food versus just a crudite platter (i just think that would look cheap). Again, thoughts
      I agree, you either have to have a lot of food or none. But, maybe some sort of signature drink would be fun, too, and then maybe people wouldn't be focusing on dinner.

I'm sitting here brainstorming a bit. What about some pre-dinner dancing? Or enough live music to fill the time gap and keep people busy.

Another thought, if you have a bunch of kids going, you could also do something like a pinata. Everyone could watch and that could easily fill 45 minutes or so.

#115 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
      • 4,881 posts
      • LocationNew York

Posted 06 March 2008 - 01:25 PM

Quote:
      Originally Posted by nenamono
      Becks
      You have Vonage, so do we but I had no clue we get free calls to Mexico. Is it based on a certain package (I didn't sign up FI did). I have never called Perla but might start if calls are free. So exciting. Thanks for offering to help with the Timeline. I think I'm good I just discovered Microsoft Publisher and although we have had our bad times I'm really getting into it. LOL. I will let you know if I need any help though, thanks so much for the offer.
      Sorry, I missed this the other day. With Vonage, it does depend on the package. We have the basic, but we added the Latin America plan in January it's $15 per month or so, but that way there are no surprises. I think with the basic package it's $0.18 per minute or something - so I can call Elisa and Perla for 2 hours over the course of the month and it costs me nothing extra. By the way, I just checked - I got Elisa's voice mail last weekend, and that (because of the switchboard, etc.) took 4 minutes. In my mind, the ability to call anytime I want is totally worth it.

#116 neen

neen
      • 633 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 02:01 PM

i missed the post with becks website...LOVE it! FI and I are going to be working on ours this weekend and i think i'll be borrowing from all of your sites ladies! hope that's ok!

#117 GettinhitchedDC

GettinhitchedDC
        • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 03:17 PM

Quote:
          Originally Posted by becks
          The costs do add up. There's no way around it. But, at the end of the day, we figured $200 per head for the wedding stuff, and that's about right (not including travel and our hotel rooms).

I think the WCs are great - and they have good suggestions. They don't necesarily respond as fast as we'd like - but usually within 48 hours or so, which from what I can tell is pretty much standard in the RM.
          $200 a head isn't all that bad. Do you mind if I ask what that includes?

#118 madenerg2

madenerg2
          • 126 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 05:37 PM

Running out the door to lunch....but I'll comment on everything when I get back....Just wanted to give you all the quotes I got from the steel drummer this morning..
            SOLO ACOUSTIC
            Troubador solo steel pan (steel drum around neck walking
            through the crowd playing) or stationary playing
            $150 U.S.hour

SOLO WITH SOUND SYSTEM
            live caribbean steel drums, electric guitar, vocals (me), sound system and the finest reggae, calypso, jazz, soca tracks to rock any occasion! DJ reggae music on breaks.
            $450 U.S ' two 50 min sets,

reggae group Planeta Tierre 5 piece, drums, bass, guitars, vocals, steel drums etc.sound system, DJ reggae music
            on breaks
            $1150 U.S two 50 min sets

20% deposit to hold the date

#119 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
            • 4,881 posts
            • LocationNew York

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:20 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by GettinhitchedDC
            $200 a head isn't all that bad. Do you mind if I ask what that includes?
            The ceremony, the cocktail hour with sound system (may still revert to DJ), dinner in one of the restaurants, and dancing after. I'm not doing much in the way of flowers - total budget there is about $500.

The dinner in the restaurant got tricky - if you're getting married in low season (Aug/Sep), they will allow you to book the Capri or Mexican restaurants for a private party. We however wanted the French restaurant and that got expensive - and it's not in the $200 per, above.

#120 becks

becks

VIP

• VIP Member
            • 4,881 posts
            • LocationNew York

Posted 06 March 2008 - 06:22 PM

Quote:
            Originally Posted by Melissa Radolli
            Becks I love your website (and I may be copying your test your Spanish section!) Awesome job!
            I can't take full credit. The really silly ones came from a sheet that Ann put together a while back. Take a peek (search for spanish phrases), there are some absolutely hysterical ones in there...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook Pinterest Google+ Twitter